Crimes On The Rise Under Level 3 Lockdown
The Atlas Security Operations team has noted a general increase in all crimes under Level 3.
Since Level 3 regulations were implemented, all crimes have begun rapidly returning to pre-lockdown levels and could possibly skyrocket in a post-lockdown world.
Since the 1st June 2020, Atlas Security has responded to a large number of burglaries. Criminals are still targeting businesses that have not yet returned to work.
In North End our team attended to a burglary in Paterson Road, then an hour later to an Armed Robbery nearby of a business where 3 armed men stole food items and an undisclosed amount of money.
6 businesses have either experienced a burglary or theft in each of these areas:
- North End
- Forest Hill
Under Level 3, many homeowners have returned to work. This has resulted in a sharp increase in residential burglaries. Our Armed Response teams have responded to attempted burglaries, burglaries and incidents of theft in:
- Kabega Park
- South End
When South Africa started this lockdown we could only make an educated guess at the effect it would have on crime. Under Levels 5 & 4 we saw businesses being targetted every day, and with Level 3 only 2 days old, we are seeing a different pattern emerge.
HOW DO I NOT BECOME A VICTIM OF CRIME DURING LOCKDOWN?
1. Remember safety measures – Staying home might keep you safe from COVID-19, but it doesn’t make you immune to crime. Our fear is that house robberies will continue to climb, we’re urging you to remain mindful of safety measures during this time:
• Keeping security gates locked,
• Keeping perimeter zones armed for an early intruder alert, and
• Remembering to arm the system at night.
2. Test your alarm system – One of the simplest, but most overlooked steps to ensuring you are safe at home is to test your alarm system. For an armed response officer to respond to your emergency, a signal actually needs to be received by Atlas Security’s control centre. You can call us on 0861 585 585 to test your alarm.
3. Press your panic button – While you’re inside working or outside enjoying the sunshine, the chances are your alarm isn’t armed which leaves you vulnerable to a house robbery. Keep your remote panic nearby.
4. Invest in your security – With the change in crime as a result of COVID-19, and judging by the increasing statistics, assessing and upgrading your alarm system now plays a critical part in not becoming a victim.
We’ve developed the MOST advanced security solution. Using innovative technology, your alarm system is now more than just… an alarm. Reduce costs by having a smart system set up by Atlas Security
✔️ Video Verification
✔️ Lock The Gate Or Open And Close Your Garage Door
✔️ Turn off the lights
Smarten up your alarm with Atlas Smart. For more info on Atlas Smart, click here and we will call you back.
5. Register for the Atlas Security Crime Map – As an Atlas Security client, you are given access to our interactive crime map, which shows you where incidents have occurred. This is a powerful tool for you to stay informed as to what is happening in your area. To register click here
Stay Safe Nelson Mandela Bay!