Monty’s Crime Report: Get to know your neighbours, they could just save your life!
This week, Monty Montgomery, Atlas Operations Manager, shares that the New Year is upon us with plenty of scope for opportunistic criminals. This year, your mission should be to familiarize yourself with your immediate neighbours.
- Your neighbours are an invaluable security resource. If possible, make an arrangement with them for you to keep an eye on each other’s homes, either formally through a neighbourhood watch program or informally.
- The assistance you could provide each other might include calling emergency services such as an ambulance, the Police or your armed response company. Make sure that they have these numbers.
- You could ask that they simply be alert to anything suspicious, particularly when either of you are away at work or on holiday. Criminals are deterred if they know that the neighbourhood is on the lookout.
- When you go away, arrange with a friend or neighbour to leave your curtains in the usual open or closed positions and mow your lawn for you.
- Leave a telephone number and a contact address with neighbours or any other reliable person so that you can be contacted in an emergency.
Atlas’ mission is simple and ambitious – to reduce crime – by working hand-in-hand with our local Police to ensure that your business interests, homes, possessions and families are safe.
One of our greatest concerns is still those homes that are under protected. Please ensure that all your alarm equipment and valuables are well protected – we should enable early detection and therefore need an alarm system up to standard.
Ensure that perimeter doors are fitted with adequate locks and that your front door has a substantial safety latch and a door viewer. All windows should be fitted with burglar bars. Consider installing outside lighting that is activated by motion detectors. Trim and maintain tall hedges, plants and trees that can obscure your view of your property.
Armed robberies are still totally out of hand but we are proud to share that we are pushing to minimize this. We have managed to ambush a few armed robberies and even made an arrest. Theft of and out of motor vehicle is still ongoing. Monty urges the public to be aware and to assist in curbing this crime. Information sharing and zero negligence would decrease this tremendously. It’s back to school and, for this reason, Monty requests everyone to keep an eye on the scholars and students. Firearms remain a target. Take care of yours.
Although the holiday season is drawing to an end, residents are advised to remain vigilant, as criminals are still operating in the greater Port Elizabeth area. Monty cautions residents not to be lured into a false sense of security, despite the large decrease in contact crimes over the festive season. We shall continue to fight crime… Smarter, tougher and differently. Atlas will do everything in its power to keep our stats down and to be a step ahead of the criminals’ minds out there.
Stay safe and rest assured, your world is secure in Atlas’ hands.