Monty’s Crime Report: Safety when workers are onsite.
This week Monty Montgomery, Atlas Operations Manager, touches on topics and actions that everyone is guilty of at some point in time. “I am very concerned about too many homeowners having workers onsite. I would strongly advise to never hire workers off the street, as it is very dangerous – they have not been vetted by you and could be criminals posing as handymen.”Monty continued to say “Residents need to be selective when it comes to hiring workers. Changes in staff (including domestic workers and gardeners) and the introduction of casual staff and contract workers on site, introduce security risks and potential employees should be carefully screened.”
A high percentage of burglaries occur where inside information is distributed through various channels – whether knowingly or unwittingly. One such channel is on-site workers. It would be prudent to follow these steps if you are expecting contractors in your home or business.
· Before workers arrive, decide what you want them to see and what you want to hide from their sight.
· Install a temporary alarm in the areas where the building is taking place to ensure your risk is minimised.
· Plan beforehand the route through your home that you are prepared to have them take and use while there.
· Make sure that this is the shortest and safest to the place they must work.
· Pack away any valuables and expensive-looking items such as laptops, video cameras, coin collections and jewellery.
· Don’t be shy in asking them to use the back entrance; this may limit exposure to your property.
As expected, there has been a sharp increase in crime since Youth Day this week which falls into the June school holidays. Please assist where you can by sharing information, looking out for suspicious people and behaviour. Avoid being negligent when securing your premises or parking your vehicle. Be extra alert when shopping, jogging or cycling.
Although we had great arrests, armed robberies as well as home invasions are far too high. Once again Montgomery talks about house robberies becoming more common and he strongly urges residents to lock their security doors and gates. On another note, Montgomery has also found a lot of premises with old burglar alarms – he again advises that people should contact their service provider for a free quotation. It is vital to have enough security coverage and equipment that is in proper working order.
If leaving for a vacation, ensure that Atlas or your security company has sufficient access to your property and trustworthy keyholders to unlock your home, should we need to check internally.
Lastly, we have noticed far too much movement in the neighbourhoods. Clamp down and assist to keep your streets clean and clear. Stay safe and rest assured, your world is secure in Atlas’ hands.