This week, Monty Montgomery, Atlas Operations Manager, reports that we have managed to keep home invasions under control this week. He is however still concerned about the threat. He is obliged to warn readers that home invasions are ongoing and that we have to keep our eyes peeled to prevent and curb this epidemic.
Hijackings, remote jamming and robbery from person are continuing at our centres. Do not be fooled, these are happening daily in and around all areas. Another concern Monty shared is that criminals are targeting scholars and students as well as ladies who are in public places on their own; joggers – running with ear phones in their ears are also on this list. He adds that attackers are becoming more and more aggressive. He urges victims NOT to confront the attackers as they are armed and dangerous.
He urges everyone to:
• be aware of your surroundings
• make use of safe parking at malls
• ladies: try not to shop alone – criminals tend to grab your jewellery off your body
• When going out at night, try and walk in crowds. There’s safety in numbers. Do not approach your vehicle alone. Car guards are not security guards – do not rely on them.
When you think about your safety when going to bed at night – give the following some thought:
• There must be a keypad in or near your bedroom.
• Try to have as many PIR’s armed at night when going to bed to eliminate movement in your house.
• Try and have a barrier, such as a gate between your bedrooms and the main living areas of your home
• Ensure that your bathroom is properly protected – a magnetic contact on the internal door is a good addition
• Ensure that your roof space has adequate protection, such as an ARP
• Ensure that you have a panic button close by.
• Test your alarm once a month.
• Check the age of your burglar alarm system.
He reminds readers that syndicates are always hunting for firearms, jewellery and of course cash. Firearms and high value valuables should be locked away in a safe, which is in a secure place in your premises. Additional to that, they should be alarmed and impossible to access. Contact Atlas for more information on our GunSafe Alarms – email email@example.com .
A very serious topic – Do you know what to do should you be caught in the middle of an armed robbery? This crime is massive at the moment and extremely lucrative to robbers. Monty warns shoppers to be extra careful when out and about. Should you arrive at a place where a cash-in-transit vehicle is parked, leave and return in a few minutes later when the vehicle has completed their collection. Should you get caught in the middle of an armed robbery – stay calm and find the best way to protect yourself until the robbers flee. Take cover and stay on the ground as bullets might be exchanged.
Townhouses or complexes are being increasingly targeted as residents – basking in a false sense of security – drop their guard. Residents in townhouses make themselves vulnerable to crime by letting their vigilance slip. This false sense of security leads to careless behaviour. What makes it easier for thugs is the inaccessibility of complexes to SAPS and armed response which enables criminals to proceed without interruption.
Take accountability for your complex safety:
• Keep all entry points locked
• Never let a stranger into your house
• Earthly belongings are not worth more than a life!
• Know where the panic buttons are
• Test your home alarm
• Take a good look around before entering the house
• If you see something suspicious, say something
• Know your neighbours and have a plan in place
• Protect and educate your family in these important points.
• Take control of your entry and exit points
• Have a reinforced gate installed on your doors and in your passage.
• Make sure your security company has access to your premises in the case of an
• Trust your instincts!
Lastly, Monty urges residents to keep their neighbourhoods safe! Do not be fooled, these criminals do their homework, they know what they want and where to find it in your home before they even break in. Stay safe and rest assured that your world is safe in Atlas’ hands.