Warning In Spate Of House Burglaries – Criminals Take Advantage Of Holidays
Several homes and businesses were targeted across the city at the weekend, fleeing with computers, watches, TV’s, tools and one incident of a stolen motor bike
Apart from the 17 residential and business-housebreaking incidents reported to Atlas Security over the past weekend there had also been 2 armed robberies, in Newton Park and Walmer
These statistics exclude trespassing, vandalism and attempted housebreaking incidents, which totalled 7 incidents and theft, theft of motor vehicles and out of motor vehicles, which totalled 3 incidents. Atlas Security made a total of 3 arrests for various crimes. Fortunately, there were no injuries reported during any of the armed robberies. All incidents can be found here: June Crime Snapshot
Criminals had become increasingly brazen and were often undeterred by burglar bars, locked doors and security gates. During most of the housebreakings, suspects derailed driveway gates and then smashed down front or back doors and security gates, which is a preferred point of entry. Suspects also either cut or bent in burglar bars to gain entry.
Housebreakers also broke into garages and sheds and stole items ranging from a washing machine to tools, while there was one incident of a motorbike theft in Lovemore Heights
In many of these incidents, high loss could have been prevented as criminals targeted homes where residents had left for the long weekend. The excitement of going away, whether for a holiday or in this case a long weekend, can often be overshadowed by the worry of whether your home will be safe in your absence.
Atlas Security cannot stress enough that you contact our control room to make us aware that you will be away, this will allow us to communicate through our control room to the armed response vehicles should we receive an activation, in the event of an activation we will need to access your property, please update your keyholder list and ensure that you have someone willing and reliable that can meet up with our team to access your home.
Our team has noted, via social media groups, that residents are feeling vulnerable in areas where there is construction work taking place, we will continue to monitor the situation and if necessary, engage with the relevant parties. Having said this, the holiday season is when your home is the most vulnerable, therefore you need to arm your alarm at ALL times. You can update your details by calling our control room on 0861 585 585
Below is a check list which we feel could assist you:
1. Test your alarm to make sure it’s in good working order. Also remember to arm it before leaving, and ensure that you’ve closed all the windows to reduce the risk of false alarms in your absence.
2. Make sure you have sufficient outdoor lighting and that the globes haven’t blown. Remember to set your indoor lights on a timer.
3. Notify your neighbours that you won’t be at home, so they can help to keep an eye out for you.
4. Secure your valuables. Place jewellery, extra cash or other valuables in the safe, ensure the safe has additional protection.
5. Leave your house keys with a trusted family member or friend, who can gain access to your property in case of an emergency.